Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Hutt Hutt Hike!



Joel has started football practices now. He LOVES it and comes home every night completely whipped! They practice Mon-Fri 6p-8p. That's a lot of practice to be out in this heat. They practice tonight for the first time with pads and believe full contact practice tomorrow.

Funny Story. Jon usually takes Joel to practice, but last Friday it worked out better that I take him. So we packed up the car with sandwiches, water, helmet, blanket, toys, diaper bags, books, little sister and about 10 other things. We loaded into the car and headed for practice. I knew where I was going, but never being to a football practice before I wasn't sure what to expect. We got there with about 5 mins to spare so I told Joel to grab his helmet and water bottle, meet up with his team and I'd grab everything else and I'd be there in a minute. You would have thought we were moving in...I was weighed down with so much stuff. Once Aliya and I finally made it from the car I look up and there at least 200 kids in white helmets and white T-shirts. And of course I had no idea which one was Joel. I walked around for a few minutes noticing that the kids were broken up by grade, still not knowing which group was which, I picked a nice spot next to some other moms near a team that looked like it could be Joel's, the kids looked about his size. I spread our blanket out and got Aliya situated with toys and I settled down to read a book. A few of the moms said hi and commented on how cute Aliya was. About 10 minutes into practice I was approached by one of the team moms asking if my son was on the blue or the white team????? I must have had a look of confusion on my face because she quickly asked what my son's name is. After searching her list, she didn't find Joel's name on it and confirmed he was on the blue team because she was the white team's mom and he wasn't on her list. A few of the moms behind me chuckled (I'm sure they thought I was an idiot for not knowing what team my kid was on), to play it off I turned around and asked, "oh, am I in White Territory?"... I still had not found Joel yet in the group of kids in front of me. About 10 mins later I over heard the moms talking about the 3rd grade class supply list (here's where they think I'm an idiot again). I turn around and ask if the group of kids in front of us are 3rd graders, YEP! They looked at me like,"Duh who did you think you were watching?" I laughed it off and said, "that explains why I can't find my son, he's a 4th grader". They then pointed to a group of boys WAY on the other side of the field, there Joel was. I found him right away! So I was faced with a decision, pack everything back up and weave my way though 2 other grades of teams OR stay right where I was. I chose to stay right where we were. Hopefully I will never see any of those mom's again. They seriously must think I'm stupid. Oh well, Joel and I had a good laugh about it on the way home.

2 comments:

Laura said...

I would have stayed put, too. Hee, hee! Easy mistake to make! Joel looks so grown up in his football gear.

Jamie said...

Hey mistakes happen, with all the stuff you have to bring and think about, the same would have probably happen to me too (:

I agree Joel looks so grown up. Have fun playing football!!