Friday, December 19, 2008

Thoughts on Joel

So I was talking on the phone with my mom this afternoon on my way to pick up the kids when she told me about a conversation she and Joel had last weekend. Joel told my mom that he signed up for basketball again this year because his friends wanted him to. My mom then asks "Only because your friends wanted you to huh? Would you smoke pot if your friends wanted you to"? Joel got really quiet and got this blank stare in his face and replied, "I don't know what that means". I not only giggled when she told me this but was reassured that my 10 year old boy holding onto his childhood in a world that is growing up too fast around him.

Joel is getting so big and I don't just mean physically. He is maturing into this amazing young man right before our eyes. He is thoughtful and gentle. Don't get me wrong, he loves to rough house with Dad, but is so kind hearted. He stands up for what he believes in and has a faith strong beyond his years. Listening to him pray before dinner, being so honest with God that he is thankful for his family and to have a safe place to live and a family eating together at night...such sweet words.

As Christmas quickly approaches I am constantly asking him what he wants for Christmas...expensive video games, of course! But then he says something that makes my heart smile. He'll say something like, "I know money is tight, so something small is fine". What 10 year old says that? And means it? He is amazing.

He does NOT want any more siblings. One is more than enough he says! He still loves his little sister and boy does she love him. Being a step mom is hard work, but he makes it so easy!!!!!

I love you bug!

2 comments:

Jamie said...

What a great kid!!

It also sounds to me like he has some great parents to show him the way!!

Laura said...

I agree... Joel is a GREAT kid!