Saturday, December 26, 2009

Meeting our Birthmom...

Well, today was a big day at our house! We started this morning off with a trip to the mall to get Aliya's 2 year pictures taken, but as we turned into the parking lot we hear a sound coming from the back seat, followed by a smell that is unmistakable. You guessed it, puke. All over. It was nasty. Aliya had been eating a piece of string cheese and must have bitten off more than she could chew because up it came! Needless to say we didn't take her in for her photo shoot, but we did reschedule for tomorrow at 3:40p.

Once home and cleaned up she relaxed with daddy as I headed out to the post office and to Target. I was floored that the post office was closed today, who knew?! But at least my Target trip was successful! You see, we were meeting Aliya's birthmom and brother at 4pm and we couldn't show up empty handed!!

So, at 2:30p we loaded up Jon's car (still airing out the van from this morning YUCK) and headed up the highway. I couldn't believe how calm I was. One year ago today we traveled to Lima to meeting Grandma Gladys and I thought I was going to pee my pants the entire trip, but for some reason today was different. No fear, just a bit of excitement. I had asked a few people to pray for us at 4pm today and their prayers must have worked because I had no fear walking into Golden Corral.

We were greet by Jocelyn, her son "D" and Grandma Gladys. Gladys looked different (she later shared with us that she's been diagnosed with cancer...please keep her in your prayers). D was as handsome as they come and couldn't stop staring at Aliya. Jocelyn gave us each a hug and we exchanged the normal "it's great to finally meet you" moment. Once seated Jocelyn beamed from ear to ear, you could just see the joy in her eyes to be together. We ate, laughed, exchanged Christmas stories and exchanged gifts. D picked out a new baby for Aliya (it's way cute) and from Gladys and Jocelyn, a new running suit to grow into, it's a beautiful coral color, it looks amazing against Aliya's skin! We gave D some robot/transformer/Lego thing, Jocelyn a picture frame, photo album and journal and Gladys a candle set and a bamboo defuser (is that what they are called?). They all seemed to enjoy their gifts! It felt good to give them each something.

There was no fear, no uncomfortableness, it was great. It was like we were eating dinner with old friends. Jocelyn shared with me how thankful she is that we send her pictures and we wanted to meet her, knowing we don't have to do anything for her (her words). We made small talk about work, but once we were alone at the table, she shared how nervous she'd been today. She said she was just afraid of the unknown, but so excited at the same time. It was a really cool "real" moment, she didn't hold back she was just herself, it was great! When we hugged good bye, our hug lasted a bit longer than the others and she said that we made her Christmas! We took a few pictures and then headed our separate ways!

I have a few pictures to post tomorrow!!!

5 comments:

We Are Family said...

Love it! God is writing each chapter of Aliya's life. Precious!

Jill said...

I have tears! How exciting for you guys, Jocilyn, and Aliyah......
A true blessing! Glad it all went well. Can't wait to see pictures!

Hope someday we will be as lucky!

P.S. we will keep grandma in our prayers. what is her prognosis?

Marian said...

What a special bond...looking forward to the pictures

Laura said...

So glad it went well!

Unknown said...

Kelly and Jon,
You are such awesome parents!! You seem to know how to do everything that is best for everybody! What a wonderful experience for all of you to want to meet Aliya's "tummy mommy" and it obviously meant a lot to her too. I truly give you credit. I don't know if I could have done what you just did, but I do think it was the right thing to do and what a blessing you are to Aliya and to all others involved. It apparently meant the world to Jocelyn as well. God Bless you all!