Thursday, January 28, 2010

Counting My Blessings

I attended my first baby funeral today...a co-worker of mine delivered 3 months early (in Dec) and her beautiful son lived to be 5 weeks old. I have to be honest, I don't know this woman well at all, but wanted to pay my respects to her and her grieving family. I can't imagine what she must be feeling right now.

There was a little girl just old enough to get help walking from her big brother, she looked just like Aliya when she was about 10 months old, it was amazing, their resemblance. As I sat in the pew just watching the family hug and cry I counted my blessings that my kids are healthy.

I didn't plan on staying for the service, but as soon as I was handed a program with his picture on the front, I knew I couldn't leave right away. He was so little, born just over 1 lb. I cried as a family friend sang "Because He Lives" and as the preacher reminded us to not be sorry for the family's loss, as this baby is not lost, he is just on a long vacation with Jesus. I cried as two Aunts stood up and read a poem. I cried when I heard that C (the mom) was told by doctors that she was unable to conceive a child, but God had better plans for her and after finally getting pregnant she had to say good-bye to him. I cried as I read the letter she wrote her son, thanking him for teaching her how to love so deeply and for fighting for his little life as long as he could.

And as I read the rest of the program several things stood out in my mind. Now usually I don't read into coincidences, but this is what I read and put together in my head. This little guy passed away on January 21st (the same day Aliya became my daughter), he was 5 weeks old when he went to be with the Lord (Aliya was 5 weeks old when she came home to us) and his name, Johnathon also means "God's Gift" (same as Aliya). As I read these words and lifted my head my eyes kept drifting from that little girl that looked just like Aliya to the tiny coffin on display in the front of the room and my heart just cried out to God thanking him for my precious little angel.

So tonight I pray for this family who only knew their miracle for 5 weeks, and I pray for my two kids sleeping in their beds tonight...thankful that my miracles are still alive and healthy.

6 comments:

We Are Family said...

oh dear! praying for peace.

Deb said...

Praying for that family and hugging my girl a little tighter.

Melba said...

How completely devastating and sad. I cannot imagine. These kinds of stories really do make you want to hug, kiss and hold your little ones a little tighter. And say a BIG thank you for the blessing of their health!

Wow.

Melba

Laura said...

That must have been so sad. I'm glad it was an eye-opening experience for you, though. ((hugs!))

Jamie said...

Saying a prayer for that family who lost their miracle, also thanking god for all of ours.

bwilhelm said...

Kelly--what you write touches me so! You need to write a book. You have the gift of conveying thoughts and feelings and messages God wants to send to others. How beautiful what you wrote and how very special you have the heart to share your journey in life with others! Our family is indeed blessed--so very blessed!!!!xxxxooooo Love you so much!!!!