Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Potty Training

Aliya has been day potty trained for months now (I know, that makes her sound like a puppy, sorry) but just recently she's been asking to sleep in just her panties at night too. She was waking up dry maybe once every 8 days or so, so we started her off by putting her pull up over her panties at night. Again she was dry every few days, but not consistent enough to fly solo. This all changed two weekends ago...

We were up North visiting my side of the family the weekend after thanksgiving. My brother and his family was there at the same time. They have a little one who just turned three in October who is completely potty trained (day and night). Well Aliya was VERY impressed that her cousin Ally kept her panties dry all night and started asking for no pull up at bedtime again. Being at my mom's and not wanting to ruin her mattress, we compromised with the pull up over her undies again and she woke up dry all weekend.

Once home she was admit that she was a big girl now and did not want a pull up on at night. We held our breath and went with it. The first night she woke up wet at 6am. I asked her to help me change the sheets in the morning and explained to her that since she peed the bed we had to wash everything. We in NO WAY scolded her or made her feel bad. I simply told her, "It happens". So that morning I dropped her off at the sitter's she announced to the room, "I peed the bed (pause with shoulder shrug) It happens".

The following night I asked if she wanted to a pull up (to be honest, I'm not that rushed to get her night trained) but she refused it and said she was a big girl.

Since I have insomnia and barely sleep at night I decided to put it to good use. I started waking her up around 11:30p then again around 4a (usually the time I wake up anyway for about an hour or so). She has woken up dry every morning since we started doing this. (oh, I forgot to mention that we are limiting her fluids after dinner)

Well last night I had a really good night and slept from 12a-5:50a straight!!! (haven't done that in months!)I got her up right before I went to bed but she couldn't go. When I rolled over this morning and checked the time on my cell phone and realized that I'd slept though the night I instantly shot out of bed and checked on Aliya. Sure enough there she was in her bed, different clothes on and sleeping on top of her blanket. She'd wet the bed. DANG IT! To keep her in routine I got her up (praying she'd go back to sleep after) and sat her on the potty. Nothing.

So I'm feeling guilty this morning. Feeling like I let my ladybug down. Not disappointed in her, but myself. I'm proud that she woke up after that fact that she wet and changed. But I have to remember she's not yet 3 so I think we're doing good so far!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello there. This may be a bit off topic however it affects many families. We have a four year old with autism we are trying to potty train and a soon to be 3 year old with ADHD who isn’t trained yet. They both disrobe and play in their diapers. We actually invented some clothing that helps the situation. It is an escape proof pajama called The Wonder Jumper and it is a romper sleeper that zips in the back. Our company is called iKids Fashion www.ikidsfashion.com thanks a lot!

Laura said...

I am so proud of Aliya for trying to sleep in her undies. For us, it was one full week dry in undies/pull-up combo. I never did the wake up thing and was very, very strict about drinks after dinner. Ally was quick to train at night and Isaac took longer. Aliya will get it soon!

Jamie said...

I think she is doing great too! Good Job, both you (:

Unknown said...

don't feel guilty- she's young- not all nights will be like desired.

(don't let on, but my oldest wet the bed every night until he was about 13. yep - - e.v.e.r.y. n.i.g.h.t.)

Kids 'get it' when they are ready and Aliya is doing GREAT