(**sorry for the quality of the pictures, I took them on my cell phone**)
So Monday was the big day, Aliya's first day of preschool. We'd talked up the big day for weeks now and the morning was finally here! She was beyond excited. Monday also happened to be Valentine's Day, so we had her valentine's all packed and ready for her new friends (just in case they had a party, we didn't want her to come empty handed). She wore a cute valentine's shirt and pink hoody. I did her hair in piggy-back braids with pastel colored hairbands. She was ready!
Her first day was AMAZING! No crying, no fits, she loved every minute of it!! The teacher even commented on how well she did, caught on and followed directions. I beamed as we walked out to the van on that first day. We came home and went through all her valentines, me desperately trying to remember everyone's name, her desperately trying to shove as much candy in her mouth as she could before I caught on! She talked about school all night long and went to bed peacefully that night!! PRAISE GOD!
Day two was not as smooth. She cried when I dropped her off, a lot. She refused breakfast at school that morning, but ate her lunch and took a nap. When I picked her up, she said she had fun, but doesn't like boys in her class. (we are coming from a sitter who watched only girls) But we were optimistic and revealed when her teacher said this is very normal for new kids. That night at dinner she talked about her bones and mussels. I asked her where she learned this she said, "pee school"
Day three. Where do I even begin?? The drop off was HORRIBLE!! I thought I was going to die as I left her. She was screaming bloody murder not wanting me to leave. It was so hard!! Someone on facebook suggested I send something of mine with her as a reminder that I am always with her. So I sent a bracelet with her, I kissed it then she kissed it and we put it in her book bag under her night night. She had that darn thing out and kissing it before I even left the room!! I called and checked on her twice that day. They said she finally calmed down at lunch. She did as she was asked, but was not participating in circle time (free dance). I thought it might be nice if her brother picked her up with me, maybe if she could show him her class she might feel better about being there. When we walked through the door she let out this happy squeal and came running towards us. I knelt down with my arms stretched out...she ran right past me and into her brother's arms! It was priceless!!!!
Day four. ROUGH drop off again, but not nearly as bad as Wednesday. I stayed in her room about 10 minutes and painted a picture with her and took her to the potty. She still cried when I left, but today she let Miss Ginger, her teacher, snuggle her. I called around 11:30a to check on her and they said she was doing okay, still quiet, but much better. Sigh. I took Joel with me again today to pick her up, she was happy to see him, but we interrupted story time (oops) so we sat quietly with the group and listened to the story. She did not nap, but rested. (she was in bed and asleep before 9pm!)
Day five, Friday. Morning drop off was still hard, but not nearly as bad as the previous days. We painted a picture again and also read a book. She cried when I left, but later the teacher told me by 8:30a she was fine, ate breakfast and was playing with the other kids!!! When I picked her up they were all outside playing. She was running and laughing, it was great to just stand back and watch her. I was there at least 3 minutes before she saw me. Once my presence was known, she ran over hugged me and then went back to playing!! WOW!!!!! I finally convinced her it was time to go, she waved by to all her friends and said goodbye. On our way back into the building one of her classmates mom's came in and she said,"oh, Bradyn's mom here, hold on, I'll get him". We went back outside and found Bradyn and told him his mom was here. Five days and she's already learning not only the kid's names, but who their parents are too!?!?!?! During dinner that night while she was eating she told us that her food goes in her mouth, down her "frowt" into her tummy to make her strong. Again, when I asked where she learned this "peeschool".
All in all, I think she had a good first week. The school is closed Monday for a teacher training day so she has a play date with her best friend Emi (from the sitter's). It has been a week now since the girls have seen each other. She is so excited!! I just pray this doesn't throw off the good streak we are on!!



1 comment:
Awww, what a difficult week. I'm glad Aliya seems to be getting better. I was confused as to why she was starting school in the beginning of the year. But, now I realize it's in place of the babysitter/more of a daycare plus preschool setting. I hope she grows to love it!
Post a Comment