Friday, April 27, 2012

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

I have been doing so well and this morning I had a major setback. While in the shower this morning, as though it just happened yesterday, I had this flash back from when I was back in the ER lying on the table staring at the ultrasound screen. Seeing my baby, but not seeing a heartbeat. Just this still form. The tears came rushing back and this incredible feeling of panic and loss came over me. Why can't I get that image out of my mind? Why when I am just going about my business do I close my eyes and see it? Even as I sit here typing, hours after the fact, I am instantly brought to tears uncontrollable sobs. Not that I would ever trade the 8 weeks I got to experience pregnancy, but I wonder if it would have just been easier to have never experienced it at all. I was fine before this, loving my kids and was content with the way things were. Sure, there were days of sorrow of not having a biological child, but those few days of sorrow were NOTHING compared to what I am feeling now. I am sure people are sick of my break downs by now. It will be a year in June; you’d think I’d be over this by now. But I’m not. It’s getting harder to smile and nod at people when I just want to hide under my bed and cry.

3 comments:

All in His Perfect Timing said...

There is NO right or wrong way to feel. It doesn't matter what other people think. I don't think its wrong for you to still miss and grieve for your baby ... one tiny bit. You long to meet them on earth. It's natural as a human being.
I'm so sorry you are in pain and wish I could do something for you. Know that prayers are coming your way.

Chrissie said...

I am so sorry. There is nor right way to grieve a loss like this. Time is an amazing healer but it doesn't mean that the tears won't still come, you lost something so precious. Your heart remembers. Wishing you peace xx

Deb said...

8 years this summer I lost my dad and I can still close my eyes and be exactly where I was when I learned the news. Don't even have to close my eyes really. The things that we want so much and can't get back I think are the hardest to grieve. Don't put yourself in anyone else's time frame of grief. Pray for you often.