As you all know we choose to have an open adoption with Aliya's birthmother. Well, we haven't heard from her since March, but a few months ago we received a letter from Gladys, Aliya's maternal bio grandma. We have been corresponding through snail mail and phone calls for several months now and finally decided it was time to meet. We met at Olive Garden in Lima on Friday 12/26. I was so nervous. I thought I was going to throw up the entire way there. But as soon as she came in all the nerves melted away. We had a wonderful lunch and visit. Aliya only let her hold her for about 30 seconds, but she didn't mind. She brought gifts for birthday and Christmas. Our bio mom did not join us for this visit. According to Gladys she is not in a very good place right now. Whether that means mentally or physically we're not sure. We didn't ask, and she didn't offer. Our visited lasted about 2 hours. Aliya looks a lot like Gladys. We are so glad we got this time with her. One of the reasons we choose and open adoption is that we want no secrets with Aliya. It's kind of obvious she's adopted, and we want to be able to answer as many questions that Aliya will have one day about her bio family.
Outside of Olive Garden afterwards

Gladys trying to get a good look at Aliya
3 comments:
How sweet.
HOW AMAZING! You are a brave mom! And as an adoptive mom, I admire that commitment to your open adoption! Aliya is very blessed!
Awwww! I am so glad it went so smoothly, we go in a few weeks to see Daniel's foster family :) I'm excited. Can't wait for them to see him. It's crazy how much love one child can have from so many people, isn't it?
Post a Comment