We attended another funeral this morning, Jon's Uncle on his dad's side. It was a military funeral with the 21 gun solute and Taps. I cried and cried, even though I'd only met the man a few times.
I always do this, during every funeral I attend my mind starts to drift and I begin planning my funeral. What songs I want, what flowers, open or closed casket, you know the normal funeral stuff. And I always end up wondering the same thing, will people come to my funeral when I die? Have I made an impact in this world to anyone besides my husband and kids? Please don't think I'm selfish or self centered, that is not where I'm going with this. I just wonder.
So as we gathered on this freezing cold morning to say good-bye to Uncle Dave I am thankful he had family and friends gathered around his wife and kids...there were not many in attendance, but the ones that were there loved this man more than life its self. And someday, I pray that even if only six people come to my funeral it will be the most amazing celebration of life those six people have ever been to.
3 comments:
There are three questions that all societies and cultures have asked throughout history: 1. Who is in charge? 2. How was I created? 3. Where will I go when I die. It is natural and normal to think about your own mortality when you are attending a funeral. Fortunately, you and I know that you have been justified by grace through faith in the acts of Jesus, who became our Savior on Good Friday and who became the Christ on Easter morning. Praise be to God.
Oh Baby--you write so beautifully! There is no doubt in my mind when you are called "home" that those who remain will be recieving a line reaching out the door of the funeral home! You, my dear, are a friend to many and have made and continue to make a difference in many a life!!! Your life is a blessing and your life is a witness of God's love being shown in a practical way which is life changing!!!xxxxoooo Love you and I am so proud of you!
Some wanted to attend, but didn't out of respect for the wife and children.
Post a Comment